Centre for Autism
The Centre for Autism is a GO based in Zagreb which provides a range of educational, vocational and social services to individuals with autism, those with learning disabilities and their families across Croatia. The Centre for Autism is committed to meeting the needs of these individuals and their families, addressing their education, emotional and spiritual welfare and wellbeing.
Founded in 1981, its programmes include:
– a pre-school programme,
– an education programme for 7-15 year old students
– a holiday programme – including opportunities for young people to go to the countryside
– a sports club
– an adult day care programme, for 86 individuals
– a learning disability programme, for 94 individuals in education classes, day care and work settings
– accommodation, for 60 adults and 12 children
– in total 213 children and adults
The age range of services users is from three years to those in their fifties.
A range of therapists are based within Centre, which also provides crisis support and consultation services to families.
The Centre works closely with local communities, with local industry and with academic partners. For example, its adult housing programme has been developed in conjunction with the local neighbourhood residents’ organisation, with utility companies such as Croatian Electricity and Croatian Waste Water, and with the University of Zagreb. A cooperative company run by young people with autism is based there, producing ceramic, textiles and artworks which are then sold, developing the young people’s entrepreneurial talents. The Centre also produces an annual academic journal, ‘Autism’.
The Centre for Autism is the major GO in Croatia working with individuals with autism and their families. Over its 30+ year history it has developed close links with those developing policy and planning, with parent organisations within Croatia and with academic partners.
Also important is the work with mainstream schools. Some of CZA students visit twice per week mainstream school programmes like PE, Art and Music. Within CZA is an educated group of teachers that provide professional support for teachers who work with students with ASD in mainstream schools. This work is organized together with Education and Teacher Training Agency in Croatia.
- Partners from the UK, Poland, North Macedonia, Croatia & Belgium meet this week in Zagreb to support the effective… https://t.co/c31LukENiF1 month ago
- Vicedean for Science and International Cooperation of the @SveUZgbu https://t.co/n1CeNZalvI. Sandra Bradarić welcom… https://t.co/KH7qDonKNW1 month ago
- Cristina Fernández from @AutismEurope updates partners about our #dissemination activities so far, including the… https://t.co/B0jGWK8Fhv1 month ago
- We are already preparing the #ASD_East conferences! In 2020, we will be in Skopje, Zagreb, Krakow, and Brussels eng… https://t.co/7hB7MqeXBq1 month ago
- Do you know that we have a fantastic website where you can find information about how we work to make schools more… https://t.co/hmvwhMZuof1 month ago
- Project manager @Bramble247 from @UniNorthants explores further dissemination opportunities to reach as much teache… https://t.co/PbPWvBGZvF1 month ago
- More than 50% of mainstream teachers did not express confidence in working with #autism; finding particular challen… https://t.co/YN5YrSX9jn1 month ago
- Dr Ivana Lessner Listiakova from @UniNorthants presents our mapping report, an outcome of more than 300 questionnai… https://t.co/HmMBFZ3uVW1 month ago
- .@drp0557 congratulates the partners for all the successful work done so far, including a mapping report, devwlopin… https://t.co/AVcU8niCNl1 month ago
- Jasmina Stošić welcomes almost 20 #ASD_East partners from North Macedonia, Poland, Belgium, Croatia and the UK who… https://t.co/TmEy38EQFb1 month ago
- Lovely welcome packs, thanks a lot to our colleagues from the @SveUZgbu!!! Today #ASD_East partners are in #Zagreb… https://t.co/ThhigBSuKW1 month ago
- 📰The first #ASD-EAST #newsletter is out! If you want to be informed about our latest news and how to better empower… https://t.co/8H9AyWCuiy4 months ago
- Happy #AutismDay2019! Today #ASDEAST partners are supporting the "A New Dynamic for #Autism" campaign across Europe… https://t.co/2kOzp2Zuks5 months ago